Yesterday Ryan, Mallory, Miles, and I headed up to the Blue Gate Restaurant. It is one of our favorite places to eat. Mallory LOVES their noodles and Miles LOVES to see the fish swimming out front of the restaurant.
The main reason for us traveling up to one of our favorite restaurants was to check out the light parade and yes, the lighting of the Christmas lights. I know, I know, we can argue that it is too early for such things to happen, but you cannot mess with a town's tradition!
It was raining most of the night (these pictures are from a few years ago) so my camera never left the van. We went to the mercantile where Mallory, Miles, and I enjoyed a carousel ride and had to go to the "Thomas store" as Miles refers to it. The shops were open later due to the special lighting ceremony that was going to take
When the time came closer we went outside and waited for the parade to come our way. Once it did, it was so nice (we had never experienced it before and I think we may have stumbled across a new family tradition). There is just something about horses pulling wagons with lights on them that makes you smile:). At one point (you will learn that I am a HUGE sap) a trolley with about 15 Amish children stopped in front of us. They were singing "O Holy Night" and tears filled my eyes. There is just something about hearing little angels singing Christmas songs that makes my eyes water. It was so beautiful! Santa was the last one in the parade in his sleigh and Mallory and Miles were super excited to see him (I think Miles is beginning to understand this whole Christmas thing). Then everyone filled the street and listened to this singing group sing a new song I had not heard about the Star of Bethlehem (then the star on the HUGE tree lit up). The next song was "Away in a Manger" (then the living nativity lit up), and then it was time for the candle lighting that everyone was supposed to participate in. With the wind whipping up it was impossible for this to happen although some determined people tried their best. The announcer (an Amishman) told the crowd that it was too windy for candles this year and if they could use their cell phones instead that would be great. I found that to be funny! Then we sang "Silent Night", said a prayer, and counted down together to have the lights come on. Mallory and Miles counted as loudly as they could. Once the lights came on it was so beautiful! We marveled in the Christmas spirit surrounding us and quickly headed for the van to defrost. Mallory fell asleep on the way home and Miles talked the entire time. He sure does have a lot to say:). I know I will have some recent pictures from our next trip up to our favorite restaurant to share before long.
No comments:
Post a Comment