Monday, January 5, 2009

Bringing in 2009...For the First Time Ever!!!

Mallory was more than determined this year to stay up to see the ball drop in New York.

When Ryan came home from work on New Year's Eve Mallory and I hopped into the van and headed to the grocery store. We had fun buying plates, napkins, and cups to help celebrate the occasion. Then...we loaded up the cart with those yummy snacks, soft pretzels, root beer for root beer floats, pizza rolls, popcorn puffs, and I think that may have been all. We came home and started down the snacking road.

After snacking all four of us played "Go Fish" and were surprised with how well Miles played. It was a lot of fun. Then Mallory, Ryan, and I played "Sorry Sliders". That was a lot of fun too. Then it was movie time! How could anyone go wrong watching "Toy Story 2"? I love that movie.

At that point Mallory was starting to lose her drive. She asked, "Mommy, do you want to play Monopoly with me?" Ryan and I looked at each other because we both had this feeling she was not going to make it.

Miles went to sleep around 10 and Mallory covered up and watched television for a little while. Every once in a while Ryan or I would ask, "Mallory are you still awake?" We would get a hand raised and that was her signal that she was still with us.

She ended up making it to 2009 and was so excited. I think she was a little disappointed with the ball dropping thing (I wonder if she thought it was going to be a playground ball dropped from the top of one of the tall buildings in New York?). We opened the door and let her listen to some of the noise that was happening outside and then it was off to bed. She did it!!!

No comments: